|Map Himachal Pradesh|
- The total area (presently) of Himachal Pradesh is 55,673 km.
- Himachal Pradesh came into being a Chief Commissioner Province of Indian Union on 15 April 1948.
- Four districts of the Chief Commissioner Province were Chamba, Mahasu (Presently Shimla and Solan), Mandi and Sirmaur with an area of 27,169 sq. km. First Chief Commissioner of Himachal Pradesh was N.C. Mehta.
- Himachal Pradesh made a Part-C state in 1951. Chief Commissioner was replaced was Lt. Governor. The first such Lt. Governor was Major General M.S. Himmat Singh.
- On 1 July 1954, the neighboring Part-C state Bilaspur was integrated with Himachal Pradesh as 5th district and the area became 28,237 sq. km (27,169+1068=28,237). Himachal Pradesh maintained its status of Part-C state of Indian Union till 1956.
- From 1956-1971, Himachal Pradesh continued as Union Territory of India.
- In 1 May 1960, Chinni Tehsil of Mahasu District named as Kinnaur and became the 6th district of Himachal Pradesh.
- On 1st November 1966, new districts were added in Himachal Pradesh. They were Kullu, Lahaul & Spiti, Kangra and Shimla.
- On 25 January 1971, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi inaugurated the Himachal Pradesh as 18th state of the Union of India and area wise it became 14th state of India. S. Chakarvarti was appointed as first Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
- On 1st September 1972, two more districts were added named Hamirpur and Una. Solan came into existence as a district in the same year.
- First General Election to the 36 member Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly was held in November 1951 and Congress emerged victorious with 24 seats. On March 24 1952, Dr. Y. S. Parmar became the first Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh.
- Old Himachal – Chamba, Sirmaur, Mandi, Bilaspur and Shimla except capital town.
- New Himachal – Kangra, Kullu, Lahaul-Spiti, Hamirpur and Una.
You might also like: History of Himachal Pradesh