1.Who was the first President of Indian National Congress (1885)? – Wyomesh Chandra Banerjee
2. Prime Minister of India who did not face the Parliament? – Chaudhary Charan Singh
3. Who is known as the “Grand Old Man of India”? – Dadabhai Naroji
4. Name of the Indian who returned the “Knighthood conferred on him as a token of protest against the atrocities in Punjab in 1919 – Rabindranath Tagore
5. Which Sufi Saint’s dargah is at Ajmer? – Muinuddin chisti
6. “Swaraj is my birthright”. Who said it ? – Balgangadhar Tilak
7. Who among Kabirdas, Surdas, Bihari & Raskhan was a blind poet who spread Krishna Bhakti cult? – Surdas
8. Babar laid the foundation of Mughal empire in 1526 defeating – Ibrahim Lodhi
9. Akbar defeated Rana Pratap in the battle of Haldighati in the year – 1576
10. Who among Babur, Humayun, Akbar & Jahangir was ignorant of the art of reading and writing? – Akbar
11. Who among Dutch, English, French and Portuguese were the last to come as traders to preindependence India? – French
12. The first Muslim invasion ( in 712 A.D.) of India was led by – Muhammad-Bin-Qasim
13. Which Muslim emperor was attracted by the beauty of Queen Padmini? – Alauddin Khilji
14. The first writer to use Urdu as the medium of poetic expression was – Amir Khusrau
15. “Brahmo Samaj” in 1828 was founded by – Raja Ram Mohan Roy
16. Tipu sultan died fighting the British forces under – Lord Wellesley
17. Non-cooperation Movement started by Gandhiji in the year – 1920
18. Who was the first Indian to get selected in Imperial Civil Services? – Surendranath Banerjee
19. Delhi became the capital of India on – Decemeber 12, 1911
20. Who gave the slogan “Inquilab Zindabad”? – Mohammad Iqbal
21. On October 2, 1959, in which Indian State Panchayati Raj System was first introduced? - Rajasthan
22. Who is entitled to initiate a Bill for constitutional amendments? – Either House of Parliament
23. Match the following (Provisions-Amendments)
Panchayati Raj – 73rd
Fundamental Duties – 42nd
Voting Age lowered from 21 years to 18 years – 61st
Right to property abolished – 44th
24. Chief Election Commissioner can be removed – by each House of Parliament by 2/3 majority and on the ground of proven misbehavior or incapacity
25. In Indian Constitution Subject of Education is in – Concurrent list
26. The wheel (Chakra) in Indian National Flag contains how many spokes? – 24
27. Among Debtors, Creditors, Business class & holder of real assets which group suffer most from inflation? – Creditors
28. One-rupee currency notes bear the signatures of – Finance Secretary of India
29. Among Bhilai, Bokaro, Rourkerla and Vishakhapatnam at which one place SAIL Steel Plant is not in existence? – Vishakhapatnam
30. In which Industry is the maximum number of women employed in India? – Tea
31. Which of the following statement with regard to U.N.O. is/are correct?
The General Assembly meets once a year: the Security Council Members & the non-permanent members of the Security Council are elected for a two year term.- All are correct
32. The headquarters of World Trade Organization is in – Geneva
33. U.N. General assembly adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in the year – 1948
34. Among Shellac, human body, glass & ebonite which one is a good conductor of electricity? – Human body
35. Through which one among air, glass, water wood doest sound travel the slowest? – Wood
36. In which one of the flying fish, sea horse, frog and chameleon is respiration done by skin? – Frog
37. Smallpox, Measles & Mumps diseases are caused by – Virus
38. The chemical name of Vitamin D is – Calciferol
39. The first President of U.S.A. to visit India was – D.W. Eisenhower
40. Who wrote “ The Communist Manifesto” along with Karl Marx? – Friedrich Engels
41. Who is the author of the book “ My Country, My Life”? – L.K. Advani
42. Match the following(books –author)
My Experiments with Truth – M.K. Gandhi
India wins Freedom – Abul Kalam Azad
Glimpses of World History – Pt. J.L. Nehru
Prison Diary – Jai Prakash Narayan
My Truth- Indira Gandhi
43. The total surface are of the earth is – 510 million sq. km.
44. Which is the world’s largest desert? – Sahara
45. B.C. Roy award is given in the field of – Medicine
46. India won the last Hockey Olympic Gold in – 1980, Moscow
47. Which international Tennis events is played on a grass court? – Wimbledon
48. Which Indian batsman made three consecutive centuries in his first three tests? – Mohd. Azharuddin
49. The hottest planet is – Venus
50. The world’s longest river is – Nile
51. Which Raja of Mandi followed the rule of “Silence is Gold” and was very fond of inculcating this habit among his courtiers and official? – Surma Sen
52. In which fair, it was essential to offer a male buffalo as a sacrifice to the river God? – Minjar Fair
53. A responsible government was established in Theog state on 15th August, 1947. Who was elected as its first Prime Minister? – Surat Ram Prakash
54. “Himalayan Pahari State Territorial Council” headquarters was at – Shimla
55. “Prem Pracharini Sabha” Dhami was established in – 1937 A.D.
56. Who was the first member of Rajya Sabha from Himachal Pradesh? – Chiranji Lal Verma
57. “Khaneti” and “Delath” were Thakurais (tributaries) of – Rampur Bushahr State
58. “Chandra” and “Bhaga” rivers join at – Tandi
59. Sutlej river enter Himachal Pradesh (from Tibet) at – Shipki
60. During Vedic period which river was known as “Parushin”? – Ravi
61. “Waziri Rupi” is a part of – Kullu District
62. The total area of H.P. on 15th April, 1948( at time of formation) was – 27,018 sq.km
63. “Hathi Dhar” is in which district? – Chamba
64. Hangrang Valley is in the district of – Kinnaur
65. Giri river originates from – Kuppar Peak (Shimla)
66. Indian Institute of Advanced Studies (Vice Regal Lodge) is situated on – Observatory hills
67. “Sanjay Vidyut Pariyojana” is in the district of – Kinnaur
68. Himachal Pradesh Electricity Board was constituted in – 1971
69. The total production capacity of Beas-Sutlej Link project is – 990 MW
70. The production capacity of Dehar Pariyojana is – 165 MW
71. The total funds allocation for the 1st five Year Plan in H.P. was nearly – Rs.5.27 crores
72. Which festival of Lahual is parallel to Diwali? – Halda
73. Which Mandi ruler constructed Prashar temple ( at Prashar) in 1346 A.D.? – Ban Sen
74. Dr. Rajendra Prasad Medical College, Tanda was established in – 1996-1997
75. Norah Richards ( the writer and painter) lived in – Andretta
Choose the correct sentence from the option given below
76. (A) She did nothing but wept.(B) She does nothing but wept
(C) She did nothing but weep. (D) She does anything but wept. – She did nothing but weep.
77. (A) The teacher said to me where was I going.
(B) The teacher said to me “where was I going?”
(C) The teacher said to me “ where are you going?”
(D) The teacher asked to me where I was going?” – The teacher asked where I was going.
78. (A) She laid in her bed.
(B) she lied in her bed.
(C) she lay in her bed.
(D) She had laid in her bed. – She lay in her bed.
79. (A) she has been sick since Wednesday.
(B) She is sick since Wednesday.
(C) She was sick since Wednesday.
(D) She is sick ever since Wednesday. – She has been sick since Wednesday.
80. (A) The river has overflown its banks.
(B) The river has overflowed its banks
(C) The river has flown over its banks.
(D) The river has flowed its banks – The river has overflown its banks
Give the option that has the same meaning as the underlined word:
81. Scavenger – Cleaner
82. Mundane – Worldly
83. Extinction- Disappearance
84. Magnificent – Grand
85. Proximity – Nearness
Give the word which is opposite in meaning to the underlined word
86. Genuine – counterfeit
87. Amateur – Professional
88. Obsolete - Contemporary
89. Novice – Expert
90. Cynical – Trusting
Fill in the blanks with the best option
91. No sooner did the bell ring……….. the boys ran into their classes. – than
92. …………..you study hard, you will not progress. – unless
93. He is not……..that sort of work. – cutout for
94. How can she……. the time she has lost? – make up for
95. I am ……….this wet weather. – fedup with
Choose the word which has the correct spelling
96. (A) Comissioner (B) Commisioner (C) Cummissioner (D) Commissioner – Commissioner
97. (A) Fulfil (B) Fulfill (C) Fullfil (D) Fullfill – Fulfil
98. (A) Quarrel (B) Quarell (C) Quarrell (D) Querell – Quarrel
99. (A) Bigining (B) Biginning (C) Bigning (D) Bigening – Biginning
100. (A) Interruption (B) Interraption (C) Interrupsion (D) Interuption – Interruption
Read more: Tehsil Welfare Officer and CDPO Paper 2014
Read more: Tehsil Welfare Officer and CDPO Paper 2014