1. Conception generally takes place at the time of
b) Before menses
c) Immediately after menses
d) Two weeks after menses
2. Why mothers feed the child with Vitamin A?
a) To prevent rickets
b) To prevent beriberi
c) To prevent night blindness
d) To prevent polio
3. Growing children require comparatively more
d) All of these
4. Consider the following statements:
1. Mitosis is a continuous process and chromosomes are shortened and arranged along equator of the spindle in prophase state
2. Nucleolus and nuclear membrane are lost in Metaphase state
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
5. How dehydration helps in the preservation of food?
a) Growth of microorganism is checked
b) Nutrients are concentrated
c) Surface of food stuffs becomes hard
d) Chemical reactions stop in the absence of water
6. What is done to raise the dough while making bread?
a) Alcohol is added
b) Yeast is added
c) Carbon dioxide is passed
d) Air is passed
7. How the body temperature is maintained?
a) Due to temperature regulating mechanism located in the base of the brain
b) Due to excessive intake of water
c) Due to regular intake of foods
d) Due to the constant flow of blood in the capillaries
8. Dysentery and Influenza are caused by
c) Bacteria and Viruses respectively
d) Viruses and Bacteria respectively
9. Why camphor disappears when kept on a plate?
a) It sublimes
b) It reacts with the metal of the container
c) It reacts with the gases of the air
d) None of the above
10. The sex of the offspring is determined, when
a) The conception takes place
b) The sperm fertilizes the ovum
c) The embryo is partially developed
d) The end of gestation period is near
Answers: 1-d, 2-c, 3-a, 4-d, 5-a, 6-b, 7-a, 8-c, 9-a, 10-b.
Read more: HPAS Prelims Quiz-5 (General Science)